Plan for professional learning in disability
The project seeks to enhance teacher capability to support students with disability and improve inclusive practice.
Increasing the range of professional learning options in disability will support teachers to:
- improve knowledge and skills to meet the needs of students with disability and meet legislative responsibilities as outlined in the Disability Standards for Education (2005)
- meet NSW Education Standards Authority (NESA) accreditation requirements in the identified priority area of disability.
What will success look like?
- Teachers and leaders in schools will have access to a wider range of professional learning and supports to build capacity to develop a more inclusive school culture and improve inclusive pedagogy.
How will success be measured?
- the development of a plan to enhance the department’s professional learning in disability
- an increase professional learning courses with a specific focus on disability to align with NESA priority areas in professional development
- an increased focus on disability and reasonable adjustments in non-disability specific professional learning available, including mandatory courses for teaching and non-teaching staff.
Key project milestones
- Discovery and consultation reports: completed.
- Professional learning plan developed: September 2021
- Implementation of professional learning plan: Ongoing from September 2021
- Division: Learning Improvement
- Project executive: Executive Director, Inclusion and Wellbeing
- Project lead: Director, Disability Strategy