Accessible Devices – ComFleet 2.0
The project has three objectives:
- Ensure accessibility of the device, operating system build and productivity tools. This will be achieved through specific engagement with disability advocates within the Department. A representative/s will be sought with the assistance of the Lead, Disability Employment and Inclusion. The role of this representative will be to participate in the selection and testing of new End User Computing Devices and peripherals to improve accessibility. They will also be asked to participate in the various customer technical test groups which test operating system updates and major releases of new software. In this role they will provide feedback and Insight Into the use of these products and services from an accessibility standpoint. Further they may also nominate other staff within the Department where appropriate to participate in these processes to strengthen the process by providing another accessibility lens.
- Appoint an Accessibility Advocate to the ComFleet BAU Forum. The forum meets fortnightly to discuss challenges, issues, and opportunities across the ComFleet eco system. The Accessibility Advocate will attend these forums to represent and educate the group on the accessibility needs of Department Corporate staff. Accessibility will be made a fortnightly agenda item to ensure that focus is maintained.
- Promote technology accessibility through The Hive Tech Bar. Working with partners including Microsoft we will upskill the team who provide productivity sessions on the native productivity tools available in Windows and Office. This team will create a productivity session for staff to attend on how to use the accessibility features of Windows and Office 365. This objective will not only assist staff in making their own use of technology more accessible, but with the use of tools such as the Office Accessibility Checker, staff will be able to make their work and even their emails more accessible for their customers and colleagues
- Improved accessibility of the entire ComFleet ecosystem, which is comprised of the hardware and peripheral devices, Windows Operating system, and Office 365. This will be achieved through the engagement of Accessibility Advocate being involved in the selection and testing of hardware and software. Success will be measured by engagement and written approval of any new hardware or Operating System and Office 365 applications
- Field staff engagement in solving accessibility challenges. Engagement with the Accessibility Advocate in the BAU Forum will provide an ongoing focus for the leadership of ComFleet support teams on Accessibility. Allowing these staff to build their awareness in this area and passing that onto their teams. Success will be measured through participation of the Accessibility Advocate in the ComFleet BAU forum, and dedicated fortnightly discussion of accessibility challenges in the forum
- We will build visibility and skills in providing accessible content across the corporate customer base. This will be done through delivery of productivity sessions on how to use the tools at our disposal to improve our own usage, and to coach customers to create content that is more accessible for others. Success for this goal will be measured through the number of participants attending the productivity session and the feedback they provide on the session. This session will be kept up to date through ongoing specific engagement with Microsoft on their accessibility tools
What will success look like?
Success will be visible through the appointment and active engagement of the two roles created, the customer-based advisor role in endorsing new tools and services. The ITD based advocate role through their engagement in the ComFleet BAU Forum.
Engagement with the productivity sessions and customer feedback will allow for service improvement and will demonstrate the success of the initiative.
How will success be measured?
- Success will be measured by engagement and written endorsement from the Accessibility Advisor of any new hardware or Operating System releases.
- Success will be measured through participation of the Accessibility Advocate in the ComFleet BAU forum, and dedicated fortnightly discussion of accessibility challenges in the forum.
- Success for this goal will be measured through the number of participants attending the productivity session and the feedback they provide on the session. This session will be kept up to date through ongoing specific engagement with Microsoft on their accessibility tools.
Key project milestones
Appoint first ComFleet accessibility advisor. Customer role.
Term 3 2021
Will be coordinated with Lead, Disability Employment and Inclusion to ensure a suitable person is selected. We will work with the nominee and Greg to define a Terms of Reference for this role.
Appoint first ComFleet BAU Forum accessibility advocate. ITD staff role.
Term 3 2021
ITD staff member, the initial advocate will be selected in consultation with Lead, Disability Employment and Inclusion. This person will also help define a Terms of Reference for this role.
Delivery of the initial Accessibility Productivity session.
Term 4 2021
This initial session will be created working with the accessibility advocate and our project partner from Microsoft.
- Division: Operations Group
- Project executive: Executive Director, Customer Experience and Service Delivery (CESD)
- Project lead: Director, Service Support