Compulsory school attendance
Regular attendance at school is essential for students to achieve quality life outcomes. Schools, in partnership with parents, are responsible for promoting the regular attendance of students.
Parents or carers of children of compulsory school age are responsible for ensuring their child attends school every day. Children must commence school by age 6 and then complete year 10.
After Year 10 and until they turn 17, students must be:
- in school or registered for home schooling or
- in approved education or training (e.g. TAFE, traineeship, apprenticeship) or
- in full-time, paid employment (average 25 hours/week) or
- in a combination of work, education and/or training.
The brochure Compulsory school attendance - information for parents (PDF 420.54 KB) provides more details on the importance of compulsory schooling (Note: This resource does not currently meet WCAG 2.0 accessibility requirements. Please contact 02 9269 9456 to request an alternative copy).
Enrolled students 17 years and over are required to attend school regularly to meet Higher School Certificate course requirements.
More information on compulsory school attendance is available below (Note: These resources do not currently meet WCAG 2.0 accessibility requirements. Please contact 02 9269 9456 to request alternative copies).
- Compulsory school attendance - information for parents (PDF 420.54 KB)
- Compulsory school attendance - information for schools (PDF 534.63 KB)
- Compulsory school attendance - information for government and non-government agencies (PDF 285.13 KB)
Attendance and absences
Parents of children from Kindergarten to Year 12 must ensure their children attend school every day. On occasion, your child may need to be absent from school. Justified reasons for student absences may include:
- being sick or having an infectious disease
- having an unavoidable medical appointment
- being required to attend a recognised religious holiday
- exceptional or urgent family circumstances e.g. attending a funeral
Parents must provide an explanation for absences to the school within 7 days from the first day of any period of absence. Where an explanation has not been received within the 7-day timeframe, the school will record the absence as unjustified on the student’s record.
Note: These resources do not currently meet WCAG 2.0 accessibility requirements. Please contact 02 9269 9456 to request alternative copies.
Home school liaison program documents (login required):
Note: These resources do not currently meet WCAG 2.0 accessibility requirements. Please contact 02 9269 9455 to request alternative copies.