Remote desktop services (RDS) CALs
- A school may set up a Remote Desktop Session (RDS) Host server (formerly known as terminal server) so staff can access files on a school server from other locations.
- RDS Client Access Licenses (CALs) are included in the Microsoft agreement. There is a centralised RDS license server for RDS 2012 R2 CALs. Any RDS host server that is set up in DoE within the DETNSW.WIN active directory forest will automatically be able to obtain their CALs from this centralised server.
- Only user CALs are installed on this centralised RDS license server.
- A RDS host server is licensed to connect to:
- DoE staff using a DoE qualified desktop - under WAH rights DoE staff are also licensed to connect to a DoE RDS host server from a personally owned device;
- DoE students using a DoE qualified desktop.
- These licensing terms only apply to the RDS host server. It is the school's responsibility to ensure that it is appropriately licensed for all the applications that are made available to staff and students on the school's RDS host server.
- Contact us if you would like to set up a RDS host server in your school and to learn more about licensing compliance issues and technical considerations for setting one up.