Stage 1 – clock
Discriminate and label the long and short hands on a clock, show the direction the hands move, count by fives and read time to the hour and half – hour
- discriminate and label the long and short hands on a clock
- show the direction the hands move
- count by fives
- read time to the hour and half-hour
Activities to support the strategy
1. Use a variety of analogue clock faces to teach students to read the hour. Say When it is 'o'clock' the hour is the number the short hand points to. Give practice by asking: Where is the short hand pointing? So what hour is it?
Give example with the short hand on 3.
- Ask is the short hour on a number? Answer: Yes.
- What number is it on? Answer: 3.
- So what hour is it? Answer: It is 3 o'clock.
Give non-example with the short hand off the 7.
- Is the short hand on a number? Answer: No. It is not 7 o'clock.
2. Say When the time is after the hour (o'clock) the short hand is off the hour. Give multiple opportunities to practise with the short hand on the hour and off the hour.
- Give example with the short hand after the hour. Say: When the short hand is off a number, look for the last number the short hand pointed to. Find the last number by moving backwards around the clock face to the last number the short hand pointed to. Give multiple demonstrations.
- Have students discriminate between 'on the hour' and 'after the hour'.
- Demonstrate conventions for expressing times by listing the alternatives in tables, then ask students to complete missing information in tables, for example:
Students are given sets of cards with different ways of telling time. Students work in pairs to match the times shown on the cards.
Play Time Bingo — Students are given a card with a number of digital times listed, both hour and half-hour. The teacher shows a time to the hour or half-hour on an analogue clock (or vice versa). Students match to the times shown on their card.
Students use the School day analogue learning object to explore digital and analogue time and sequence familiar events in the correct time order.
ACMMG020: Tell time to the half – hour. ACMMG039: Tell time to the quarter-hour, using the language of 'past' and 'to'
MA1-13MG: Describes, compares and orders durations of events, and reads half and quarter time.