Principals play a vital role in leading their schools. They guide staff development, support student improvement, and lead engagement with the community. Research shows that effective school leaders have the second greatest in-school impact on student results.
The School Leadership Institute (SLI) offers a range of world-class professional development opportunities, and support for all NSW public school principals, at every stage of their career, to help them successfully enact their role.
Programs and resources
The School Leadership Institute provides professional learning opportunities and resources for every NSW public school principal.
- The SLI hosts a Principal Induction Conference (PIC) for newly appointed, first time principals and those in long-term relieving principal roles. The PIC is an opportunity for new principals to gain a comprehensive understanding of their role and accountabilities, departmental policies and procedures, and how to thrive as a leader. Invitations to the conference are sent to all eligible principals.
- Our Growing Great Leaders (GGL) program is a school leadership program delivered in partnership with the University of Auckland. The program is for newly appointed, first time substantive principals once they have attended their Principal Induction Conference and helps new principals develop student-centred leadership by embedding evidence-informed theory into practice.
- The Principal Leadership Learning (PLL) Program supports the growth of every NSW public school principal. It includes:
- The Insights Series for Principals - a series of editions featuring webinars from leading experts, guided discussions and reflection sessions. Each edition is complemented by intersessional learning and resources.
- Leadership Conversations: From the Field - a series of 4 leadership conversation sessions focused on current leadership practices involving up to 100 principals per session.
- The Principal Leadership Learning Resource is an online learning module aligned with the PLL Program, and includes interactive and includes research-informed explanations, short videos, frameworks, strategies, reflective questions and links to other leadership resources. It supports self-reflection, professional learning and professional conversations between principals, their DEL and other colleagues.
- Principals who are undertaking a Masters of Education can also apply for one of our Scholarships for School Leaders. These scholarships, which are also available to DELs, help meet the costs of further study and provide principals with the practical support they need to further their education.
Principals as system leaders
We have opportunities for experienced principals to deepen their leadership practice while also contributing to the leadership growth of their peers. Experienced, successful leaders play a pivotal role in supporting the leadership development of colleagues at all stages of their career.
A number of our programs have opportunities for Principal Facilitators to take part and help guide group learning. Facilitators play an important part in these programs by providing direct coaching and advice to participants, as well as benefitting from the leadership learnings offered by the range of global experts involved in our offerings.
Experienced principals are also regularly invited to take part in SLI programs through selection panels and mentoring opportunities.
If you are interested in contributing, please contact the SLI at firstname.lastname@example.org