Aspiring Principals Leadership Program
The Aspiring Principals Leadership Program (APLP) develops the leadership capabilities of school and system leaders and helps improve student learning in our schools.
The program is intensive, evidence-informed and action-oriented. It is for leaders who are already having an impact in schools and seek to expand their influence as a principal.
Applications for the 2021-22 program are now open.
Applications for 2021-22
Applications are now open for the cohort of the Aspiring Principals Leadership Program. The program develops the leadership capabilities of school and system leaders and helps improve student learning in our schools.
The program is intensive, evidence-informed and action oriented. It is for leaders who are already having an impact in schools and seek to expand their influence as a principal or improve their practice.
All applicants are assessed by panels of experienced current and retired principals against three levels of criteria: distinguished, promising and developing. The SLI has developed a feedback package which describes the common attributes of applicants at each of these levels. It is important to note that some applicants demonstrated attributes across more than one level of the marking criteria.
This program is for leaders who:
- are willing to commit to a challenging program
- have demonstrated a positive impact in their current context
- can show how the program will benefit their leadership development
- are currently in an educational leadership position and are preparing for the principalship.
Participants in this program will improve their:
- capacity to lead school improvement, innovation and change
- understanding of the leadership practices that have the greatest impact on student outcomes
- capacity to lead collaborative, evidence-informed professional learning to improve teaching and student learning
- personal and interpersonal qualities to lead with influence
- capacity to confidently lead the strategic organisation of the school.
To successfully complete the program, participants must:
- deeply engage in all Leadership Seminars and inter-sessional activities
- complete a 360 degree analysis and receive and act on feedback
- engage in a process of iterative improvement with support and challenge of a mentor
- lead an evidence-informed school improvement challenge
- develop a portfolio of evidence of learning and leadership impact
- meet the program requirements at a high standard.
How to apply
There will be a rigorous selection process to identify participants for the program.
- Complete an application comprising of a written response to criteria and the submission of a digital story.
- Applicants will require their school principal (or line manager equivalent if in Non-School Based role) and Director, Educational Leadership (or equivalent) to endorse their written application and digital story.
- Applicants must supply the contact details of their school principal (or line manager equivalent if in Non-School Based role) and Director, Educational Leadership (or equivalent) as referees, who will be asked to attest to their leadership capacity and readiness to participate in the program.
- Directors will consult with principals/line managers to determine the suitability of applicants for the program.
2021-22 process and key dates
- 3 May 2021 - submit applications including link to your digital story via Google Form to the School Leadership Institute.
- Late May – shortlisting, referee checks and leadership conversations with applicants
- Early June - candidates informed of outcome via email