SLI programs and resources expand in Term 3
This has been a record-breaking term for the School Leadership Institute team as we launched new programs, developed new learning resources and held induction conferences and other events for school leaders.
23 September 2022
Week 2 of the term saw the launch of our new Middle Leadership Development Program (MLDP) – the largest professional development program for assistant principals and head teachers.
During the term 210 participants and 53 facilitators have benefited from workshops focused on the key theme of Identity, as well as a full-day professional learning conference featuring leading educational experts and academics.
Middle leaders also welcomed the release in Week 9 of the first Middle Leader Role Description, a significant milestone that provides the 10,000 assistant principals and head teachers in NSW public schools with clarity and certainty about their role.
The middle leader team will be holding a series of webinars next term to explore the new role description in detail, with more than 400 people already registering their interest.
We were also very excited to release a comprehensive, world-class online learning resource for all NSW public school principals this term.
‘A Learning Resource for Principals: Leading with Impact and Influence’ brings together current national and international research and evidence informed practices, to support school leaders.
It explores 4 core leadership principles fundamental to teaching and school leadership and 10 key drivers of leadership effectiveness, and includes academic papers, short videos, frameworks, strategies and reflective questions and links to further leadership resources.
Other highlights of Term 3 2022 included:
- Participants in Cohort 5 of the Senior Leadership – Aspiring Principals Leadership Program finished the program and have now submitted their Leadership Inquiry project for validation.
- 76 newly appointed principals completed our Growing Great Leaders program. Another new group of 60 participants will start the program in Term 4, beginning with a three-day conference in Week 1.
- We held our Principal Induction Conference and Deputy Principal Induction Conference this term after the Semester 1 conferences were not able to go ahead, with 110 principals and 114 deputy principals taking part.
- The next group of participants in the FASTstream program have been selected to start in Term 1 2023. FASTstream provides support and development opportunities to allow participants to become ready for a principal position within 10 years. We also have new case study videos of current participants who share how the program is benefitting their leadership.
- More than 430 assistant principals and head teachers enrolled in the first component of our Middle Leader Online Induction program. The second component, an online leadership conference, will be held in Term 4.
- We continued our new Principal Leadership Learning program with Insights Series webinars from Michael Fullan and conversation sessions with Matt Church. Matt will host the final Insights webinar for the year in Term 4. More than 500 participants took part this term.
Our resources for school leaders also continue to grow. This term the SLI Leadership in Focus podcast looked at how leaders can create the conditions for learning to thrive. We added new resources to our Principal Leadership Hub and developed a new video outlining how the SLI delivers for school leaders and public education.
And next term will begin with the release of the new School Leadership Identification Framework, including a comprehensive suite of written, video and e-learning resources to support aspiring future leaders.