Strand A - Part 2 - Curriculum requirement 1
4.7 Curriculum for primary and secondary schools without Years 11 and 12
4.7.1 Curriculum for primary schools
Primary schools will have an educational program based on, and taught in accordance with the outcomes of the NESA syllabus for the six key learning areas of primary education.
4.7.2 Curriculum for the Record of School Achievement
The curriculum from Year 7 to Year 10 for students who are candidates for the Record of School Achievement must:
- meet the study requirements for each key learning area LA as detailed on the ACE website
- be taught in accordance with a syllabus developed by NESA and approved by the Minister.
Advice for principals
The NESA website states that in 2019 schools will need to provide curriculum documentation for one stage of Science and Technology K-6 or one stage of Science Years 7-10.
NESA will advise schools of the particular stage of schooling they will be looking at when notified of the inspection.
Schools will be asked to provide evidence of:
- the scope and sequence of learning/units of work, mapped to outcomes from the relevant NESA syllabus
- teaching programs
- an assessment plan indicating how student performance is assessed, monitored and recorded
- three student work samples that correspond to the teaching program.
Evidence to provide at the random inspections
The following questions will help schools to collate evidence for one stage of science and technology K-6 or science Years 7-10:
- Is there a clear connection and alignment between teaching and learning documentation in the documentation collected for Science in the particular stage, specifically:
- NESA syllabus outcomes
- scope and sequence
- teaching and learning programs
- assessment records and schedules
- samples of student work?
- Do at least three student work samples demonstrate a range of achievement clearly reflecting:
- unit of work
- Do teaching and learning programs clearly indicate:
- unit title and Stage/year
- unit description
- syllabus outcomes
- syllabus content
- teaching, learning and assessment activities
- differentiated teaching strategies
- KLA resource/equipment checklist?
- Do the scope and sequence clearly indicate:
- year/stage overview for the current year
- unit titles
- duration of each unit
- NESA syllabus outcomes
- assessment as relevant
- mandatory science student research project in Stages 4 and 5?
Department policy, procedures and resources and NESA advice
Use these policies and advice in conjunction with all NESA syllabuses: