Schools report to their communities through their annual report. This reporting is a key part of a principal's responsibility and accountability.
Preparation of the annual report involves schools making assessments of their ongoing progress towards the strategic directions identified in their school plan. This includes the results of the school's self-assessment using the department's School Excellence Framework Self-assessment Survey (the SEF S-aS).
Schools generate their annual report using the School Planning and Reporting Online (SPaRO) software. The SPaRO software is an integrated online process that schools use to efficiently plan, self-assess and report.
SPaRO is available on the department's staff portal.
SPaRO system requirements
SPaRO software requires the use of a browser such as Chrome, Microsoft Edge, Safari or Internet Explorer 11.
Schools should ensure that they are using the department's Standard Operating Environment (SOE). Schools that do not have the latest operating system and associated software are advised to use the department's software catalogue to bring their machine/s into line with department standards. Schools should contact their field services IT team or EDConnect for assistance.
What do I need to do?
Schools are required to review, complete and publish their annual report in SPaRO.
Each school's annual report will be available in SPaRO in Term 1 Week 5. Where applicable, schools will need to complete:
- strategic directions and key funding initiatives annual milestones
- SEF S-aS:
- The requirements for completing the School Excellence Framework Self-assessment Survey (SEF S-aS) have been updated to support a more streamlined approach for schools participating in External Validation (EV) during the reporting year. Schools that participated in EV in 2020 have completed a 2020 SEF S-aS as part of the process and will not be required to resubmit an additional survey. The following options are available for these schools:
- Option 1 - No action
- Option 2 - Resubmit validated EV SEF S-aS
- Option 3 - Create a new SEF S-aS to complete and submit.
- Please note that the most recently submitted survey will be used to populate the Annual Report.
- post-school destinations
- parent/caregiver, student, teacher satisfaction.
Note: schools are able to include optional commentary or analysis throughout the report to provide additional contextual information.
Levels of access in SPaRO
Principals are able to assign 3 different levels of access to SPaRO through the Access Management Utility (AMU):
- Principal - editing and publishing rights
- Contributor - editing rights
- Staff read-only rights.
Please note that access rights are not cumulative and only 1 level of access should be assigned per user.
Directors, Educational Leadership will have read-only access to all schools in their network.
Publishing the annual report
For schools using the School Website Service, the annual report, once published in SPaRO, will be loaded to the school's webpage within 24 hours under the School Planning and Reporting tab. It is important that schools do not remove the School Planning and Reporting page from their SWS hosted website.
Schools with websites not supported by SWS, for example, Pario and locally hosted internet pages, are required to download a copy of the annual report from the published folder in SPaRO and manually load it to their school website.