Implementation and progress monitoring
Implementation and progress monitoring of your Strategic Improvement Plan allows you to plan, monitor and evaluate the high level activities aligned to each of your initiatives.
Policy and context
Schools will implement and monitor the progress of their Strategic Improvement Plan in SPaRO. Schools should aim to monitor their school-determined activities at least twice a term. All schools will evaluate their progress measures annually as stated in the School Excellence Policy.
The purpose of implementation and progress monitoring is to ensure the successful implementation of the initiatives aligned to your school's strategic directions within the Strategic Improvement Plan (SIP). This allows the school to plan, monitor and evaluate the high level activities aligned to each initiative.
Ongoing and regular monitoring, reviewing and evaluation of the activities enables your school to stay on track to achieve its annual progress measures, which in turn will lead to the incremental achievement of the improvement measures.
This component of your Strategic Improvement Plan (SIP) is an internal working document and is not published online. To enable your school to be responsive to the needs of its students, teachers and leaders, implementation and progress monitoring should result in ongoing and strategic adjustments where required.
Animation for implementation and progress monitoring, and annual reflection
Watch the animation for implementation and progress monitoring, and annual reflection on the Resources webpage (scroll down to the fifth animation). It outlines the process to implement and monitor your SIP, as well as the annual reflection, which will auto-populate into your annual report.
How do we use SPaRO to develop and monitor the Strategic Improvement Plan?
Process for implementing a Strategic Improvement Plan (SIP).
Before implementing and monitoring the first year of your SIP, you will:
- map improvement measures to develop annual progress measures
- monitor annual budget allocations for all needs-based funding in the Funding source table.
1. Review the Strategic Improvement Plan
- Monitor regularly.
- Review according to your evaluation plan.
- Track progress using the traffic light system.
2. Gather evidence of implementation and progress
- Collect evidence in an ongoing manner.
- Upload significant evidence to SPaRO (optional). This evidence can be tagged against the School Excellence Framework (SEF) and annotated in preparation for external validation.
3. Adjust implementation and monitoring plan
- Adjust as required following ongoing evaluation.
4. Finalise SIP annual reflection
- Complete annual reflection and evaluation of each strategic direction.
5. Plan activities for future implementation and monitoring
- Monitor annual budget allocations for all needs-based funding in the Funding source table.
- Determine the year’s activities for each initiative to achieve the annual progress measure.
- Determine for each activity the:
- implementation team (who)
- commencement timeframe (when)
- resources (funding allocations)
- links to SEF themes.
- Complete the evaluation for each activity after considering sources of evidence.