Using equity funding for students from low socio-economic backgrounds
This equity loading provides additional resources to schools to support the learning and wellbeing needs of their students.
The low socio-economic background equity loading provides additional resources to schools to support the learning and wellbeing needs of your students in this equity group.
The socio-economic background equity loading is calculated using the family occupation and education index (FOEI), a school-level index of educational disadvantage related to socio-economic background. For information, see Learning Curve 5: Getting the Funding Right (CESE).
Schools funding provides further information about using the equity loading for students from low socio-economic backgrounds. Depending on the level of resourcing your school receives, your low socio-economic background equity loading:
- will be used to support your school’s strategic directions
- will maximise opportunities to explore innovative practices that have a high impact on student growth and attainment
- can be used for the benefit of students in this equity group for ‘business as usual’ initiatives (these are accounted for in SPaRO in ‘Other funded activities’ not linked to a specific strategic direction)
- is accounted for in terms of impact on students and their learning through the Strategic Improvement Plan (SIP) and the annual report
- is to be expended in the calendar year in which it is received.
See examples of strategically using equity funding in your SIP.
Reflective questions on school funding
- Has our low socio-economic background equity loading been used to implement evidence-based initiatives that lead to measurable improvements in outcomes for our students from low socio-economic backgrounds?
- Does the SIP meet the needs of all our students from low socio-economic backgrounds?
- As a school with a high concentration of educational disadvantage, do we need a different approach to past practice to address the needs of our students?
- As a school in a high socio-economic area, how will we explicitly plan to meet the needs of our educationally disadvantaged students?
- Have all initiatives, including those not linked to a specific strategic direction, that are funded through this equity loading been accounted for in the ‘Annual additional funding activities’ and evaluated for publication in the annual report?
Find out more about School Excellence in Action.