Excellence in School Administration coaching and mentoring program
The purpose of the coaching and mentoring element of the Excellence in School Administration Strategy (PDF 116 KB) is for expert School Administrative Managers (SAMs) known as development officers to work with school SAMs and aspiring SAMs in a coaching and mentoring capacity.
A state-wide team of expert SAMs has been trained to offer differentiated support to non-teaching school staff. The coaching and mentoring will be offered in three tiers.
- Tier 1 – individualised support provided to secondary SAMs who are new, relieving or acting
- Tier 2 – small group support provided to SAMs who have completed the tier 1 level and experienced SAMs who are new to working in a secondary context
- Tier 3 – broad development and support offered to all SAMs state-wide
Coach-mentors located within each Operational Directorate will work in conjunction with mentees and principals to identify requirements and resources that support the development of excellent administrative practices in their school. Mentees will receive coaching and mentoring using the Excellence in School Administration Framework (PDF 112 KB) to:
- build leadership capacity
- improve administrative mindsets and practices
- build strong administrative teams in secondary schools
- promote professional learning opportunities
- support implementation of change management practices
- support implementation of new school systems and structures
Tier 1 – individual
Individual support provided over a period of six months to secondary SAMs who are new, relieving or acting in the SAM role.
The coach-mentors will work side-by-side with SAMs to build administrative and leadership capabilities in NSW Public Schools state-wide. Coach-mentors will work in conjunction with mentees and principals to support the development of excellent administrative practices in their school, supported by the ESA framework (PDF 112 KB) and online resources.
- individual coaching and mentoring
- elbow-to-elbow support
- video conferencing
- Adobe connect
Tier 1 participants will be required to:
- commit to a six month program
- work with an expert mentor who has extensive school leadership and administrative experience
- complete assessments throughout the program
- engage in elbow-to-elbow mentoring
- participate in SRG professional learning where identified in the mentoring plan
- participate in mentoring and activities through video-conferencing, Adobe Connect and telephone
- provide feedback through evaluation surveys describing their involvement in the initiative and its impact
Tier 2 – small group
Small group support provided over a period of twelve months to SAMs who have completed the tier 1 level and experienced SAMs who are new to working in a secondary context.
- Adobe connect
- small group coaching through video conferencing
- telephone and email support
Tier 3 – broad
Broad development and support provided to all experienced and aspiring SAMs.
- professional learning to strengthen leadership capacity
- resources to support growth in quality customer relationships
- information on key departmental reforms to maintain currency of administrative practices
- expert advice to local network groups
For further information, contact the coaching and mentoring team:
Relieving Project Officer, Leadership and High Performance
02 9266 8350
02 9266 8350
|Wagga Wagga||Kelly Richards|
02 6937 3895
02 6755 5015
02 4931 3518
02 6392 8428