Vocal Ease MORE (Module 1): practical ways of teaching music in K-6 online learning course
Supports the teaching of music in the Creative Arts K-6 Syllabus. This course builds teacher capacity through using this resource.
Online, self-paced learning
This e-Learning course can be completed independently, however participants are encouraged to work with other members of their staff to plan and deliver lessons inspired by this course and its corresponding resource.
Vocal Ease MORE (Module 1) has been developed to support primary teachers with implementation of music from the Creative Arts K-6 syllabus. Available on the NSW Department of Education’s curriculum website, this initial module includes:
- a variety of performing, organising sound and listening activities to assist teachers to work towards the musical outcomes component of the Creative Arts K-6 syllabus,
- five songs with interactive scores, recordings and backing tracks,
- background information, along with teaching and learning experiences that are sequential and rigorous,
- videos of learning experiences being taught in action,
- interviews with the composer and educator.
Who should enrol?
This e-Learning course is available to all classroom primary teachers, school leaders and/or music specialists. No musical experience is required.
In this e-Learning course participants will learn:
- songs and activities (teachers will develop confidence to deliver new materials to their classes - no prior experience needed)
- material within the resource
- effective and practical strategies for teaching music to students
- specific language used in the Creative Arts K-6 syllabus to explain concepts of music.
Participants are required to complete a series of questions throughout the course to ensure their understanding. Questions will include specific information contained within the course regarding:
- the musical concepts of duration, pitch, timbre, dynamics and structure through practical examples
- outcomes based learning experiences for performing music (singing, moving and playing), organising sound/composing and listening
- experiences and questions relating directly to the repertoire within the Vocal Ease MORE (Module 1) resource
- participation in a Yammer group about their teaching of the musical concepts and learning experiences within the resource and e-Learning course after teaching one component of the course and resource..
- Primary School