Step-by-step guide to planning your evaluation
The overall intent of evaluation planning has been set out in Setting the scope of an evaluation.
An evaluation plan should generally cover:
- purpose of the evaluation, who will use it and what for
- key questions the evaluation is seeking to answer
- sources of data that will help you answer these questions
- evaluation tasks, resourcing and time frames.
Below are five simple steps to plan an evaluation.
- Describe the project that is being evaluated.
- State the purpose of the evaluation and how it will be used.
- Set the evaluation questions.
- Design the approach (the data being used and how these will be interpreted).
- Plan the implementation (for example responsibilities, timelines, key risks and resources).
To follow five simple steps for planning an evaluation, download the evaluation plan template.
To help illustrate how to complete the evaluation plan template, download the worked example for a Stage 2 robotics project.