Evaluation Essentials for School Leadership workshop
The Evaluation Essentials for School Leadership is a program of professional development designed to consolidate and strengthen evaluative thinking and practice in your school. It will help you review current structures and processes across your school and within your 2018-20 School Plan.
The learning program comprises a full-day workshop and a chance to apply the learning by designing an evaluation.
The first step in the learning program is to attend the full-day workshop run in your local area by evaluation specialists (registered course at Highly Accomplished career stage for 6 hours).
Attendees will need to do some preparation prior to attending the workshop. You will need to:
- Select a project, program or initiative that you would like to evaluate from your school. This can be from within your 2018-2020 School Plan or another current structure or process within your school.
- Identify colleagues to work on evaluation planning with you.
- Invite these people to attend the workshop with you.
- Review the evaluation milestones for the project, program or initiative you have selected, as they were written in your 2018-2020 School Plan, OR for projects without milestones, consider what the evaluation milestones for the project might be.
Download the workshop flyer (PDF, 126KB) for further information and enrol in the Evaluation Essentials for School Leadership workshop.
If you are unsure how to enrol on MyPL, read: How to enrol for the workshop (PDF, 527KB)
The recommended follow up from the full-day workshop is to apply the learning by designing the evaluation of a current structure or process in your school or an aspect of your 2018-2020 School Plan, using a learning circle for collaboration and feedback. If you follow this process through, you will:
- develop a draft logic model and draft evaluation plan
- give feedback to and receive feedback from peers in other schools in a feedback session, facilitated by a member of the Evaluation Capacity Building team (on demand - Department staff please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org )
- use the Critical Friends Protocol, also referred to as the Tuning Protocol, to guide your work through the feedback sessions.
From start to finish, this process could take 6 to 14 weeks depending on the pace at which you want to conduct this process. Once you have your evaluation plan, it is then up to you to undertake that evaluation, supported by resources on the Evaluation Resource Hub, using and sharing the findings as appropriate.