"One way that high expectations are encouraged at Aldavilla Public School is through goal setting. Students are expected to have attainable learning goals that they are working towards…" (What works best in practice CESE:2020)
It's important to engage individual students in goal setting, monitoring and reflecting on their learning. Goals should be specific, measurable, agreed, realistic and time-based. SMART (Specific, Measurable, Agreed, Realistic, Time-based) goals are useful for all students.
Through self-assessment, students can identify specific actions to improve and plan their next steps. They can also define their short and long-term goals with increasing confidence. The role of the teacher in this process is to:
- model the setting of individual goals
- provide follow-up support
- give specific feedback on learning goals
- help students identify and record focused actions they can take to achieve their goals
- help students identify procedures they can use to monitor their own progress.