- Phonics Screening Check
- A short, simple assessment that tells teachers how students are progressing in phonics.
- Learning area: literacy.
Primary assessment tools
Specific assessment tasks
Assessment activity templates
- Gallery walk - A gallery walk engages all students in the feedback and reflection process.
- Learning portfolios - Students can upload files, images, record their voice and write reflections. Teachers may annotate learning portfolios.
- Learning logs - Also known as RIQ (recall, insights, and question), learning journals, learning diaries
- Quick, write - A quick writing process where students respond to a question and then share responses.
- Mini whiteboards - Students write responses and the whole class displays their boards.
- Exit tickets - Quickly identify and analyse students' conceptual understanding.
- Peer feedback - Students use clear assessment criteria or a simple framework to review peers' work.
- Rubrics - Use criteria to communicate and evaluate students' quality of learning.
- Learning intentions and success criteria - Explicit learning objectives and goals for student achievement.
- Designing test items - Students design questions with correct answers about what they have been learning.
- ABCD cards - Students answer multiple choice questions by choosing the A, B, C or D card.
- Quiz programs - Students attempt questions that test knowledge about a topic.
- Polya questioning - Questioning method incorporating a four-step problem-solving technique.
- What did we learn today? - Students are supported to reflect on learning goals using prompts.
- What's the question? - Students formulate questions based on key terms and content.