Assessing literacy and numeracy
There are a range of literacy and numeracy assessment tools to assist teachers in identifying what students can do and determine priorities for next steps in learning. These assessment tools are aligned with NSW syllabus outcomes and the National Literacy and Numeracy Learning Progressions.
- Use the Areas of Focus feature in PLAN2 software to target literacy and numeracy skills across all key learning areas. PLAN2 supports teachers in monitoring student literacy and numeracy skills using the National Literacy and Numeracy Learning Progressions.
- The Year 1 Phonics Screening Check is a short, simple assessment that tells teachers how students are progressing in phonics.
- The Phonological Awareness Diagnostic Assessment is a short on-demand assessment that tells teachers how students are progressing in phonological awareness.
- Short assessments in reading, language conventions and numeracy can be used to provide teachers with feedback on student progress. Teachers can group together or modify these short assessments to suit the learning needs of their students. They are easy to administer and available as Microsoft Forms, Google Forms, and PDF.
- The Best Start Kindergarten and Best Start Year 7 assessments identify student’s literacy and numeracy skills at key transition points. The assessments highlight key literacy and numeracy skills that are important developmentally.
Literacy and numeracy teaching strategies help teachers’ action feedback from these assessments and observations they make of student literacy and numeracy behaviours against the learning progressions. Teaching strategies for reading are currently available.