In our garden
Developed in partnership with Education Services Australia. Suitable for ages 4-6.
Gardens are a great place for getting fresh air, burning off energy and exploring nature. To grow your child’s literacy and numeracy skills at the same time, cultivate ideas such as these:
- talk about the plants – eg names, colours, sizes, shapes, how they grow
- talk about creatures in your garden such as insects, bugs, worms and birds – eg names, colours, sounds, what they eat, their life cycles
- talk about gardening tools – eg what they are called, what you use them for
- ask your child’s opinion:
- do these plants need water?
- is this a weed?
- what job should we do next?
- count, count, count.
- how many petals does that flower have?
- how many tomatoes are ripe?
- how many ants are there?