Package 2-5: Poem – The Sea – Part 2
In this package your child will watch a video of a lesson comparing two poems and will complete a series of activities to develop their comprehension and writing abilities.
Week 3 - Package 5 - Year 5 & 6 English/literacy - The Sea by Paula Stevenson - Part 2
Things your child will need
Have these things available so your child can complete this task.
- The Sea English lesson video
- Activity sheet 1, 2, and 3 (attached below)
- Pencil or pen
- Coloured pencils and textas
- Dictionary and thesaurus (paper or online)
- Copy of the poem ‘The Sea’ by Paula Stevenson
Before your child starts
This lesson focuses on comparing and contrasting Paula Stevenson’s poem The Sea with The Sea by John Banville.
Your child will need a dictionary and a thesaurus, or can use an online version.
What your child needs to do
Your child will watch a video of a lesson comparing the texts and will complete a series of activities to develop their comprehension and writing abilities. The teacher will guide your child as they apply prior learning to new contexts.
Throughout the lesson, your child will be asked to pause the video to complete an activity on the activity sheets. By the end of the lesson, your child will have activities to support them to be able to:
- Compare and contrast two different texts about the sea.
- Identify the author’s perspective in each text.
- Write using vocabulary to convey a perspective.
What your child can do next
Your child will be analysing texts, using their vocabulary knowledge to identify perspectives and include new vocabulary in their writing.
Options for your child
Activity too hard?
Work with your child to support them to identify the vocabulary that conveys the author’s perspective.
Activity too easy?
Your child might extend their learning to writing another poem, set in a different environment which conveys emotion through vocabulary choices.
Your child might enjoy reading the poem aloud as a monologue. This could be recorded and shared with family or friends.
Activity sheet 1: Images of the sea
- Complete each part of the Venn diagram as you move through the PowerPoint
- Please refer to the excerpt from The Sea by John Banville (see below) and the poem The Sea by Paula Stevenson.
Someone has just walked over my grave. Someone.”
Excerpt from The Sea by John Banville
Activity sheet 2: Re write
- Rewrite the second stanza to reflect the author’s fear of the sea.
- Choose another stanza to re write, reflecting the same perspective.
I can smell it first
the salty air, feel it
crusting my skin
stiffening my hair.
I can smell it first,
the smell of fear, feel it
crushing my lungs.
Activity sheet 3: Publishing
- Publish your poem.
- You can do this digitally (PowerPoint or Word) or on paper. You can be as creative as you like.
- Once you have finished, send your poem to your teacher.