Going to the zoo these school holidays
The school holidays are coming, which means your children are about to have a lot of free time and nowhere to go. To support our parents and children we’ve compiled ways for you to take your child to the zoo. These activities will help to stimulate minds and keep your children busy and engaged during this period.
Going to the Zoo
Now traditionally going to the zoo would probably be one of everyone’s go-to activities for the school holidays. Since we’ll all be spending a lot of time inside for now, the zoo’s are coming to us.
Many zoos around the world are offering live streams of their enclosures allowing people to still see and learn about the animals without leaving their homes. Here are a few options for online zoo visits:
- Animal House - Zoos Victoria: Animal House has set up a few live stream cameras from Melbourne Zoo and Werribee Open Range Zoo, so you and your children can enjoy the zoo from anywhere.
- Australian Reptile Park: For your budding biologists, the reptile park has a weekly lineup.
- Sydney Aquarium: The Sydney Aquarium is also offering craft activities and educational resources that can help your little marine biologist learn more about everything below the waves.
- David Attenborough's Great Barrier Reef: Join the legendary David Attenborough on this interactive journey through the Great Barrier Reef.
- Taronga TV: Taronga offers daily lineups from their zoos allowing your child to see their favourite animals, meet friendly animal keepers and learn what goes on behind the scenes.
- Georgia Aquarium: Georgia Aquarium continues to host webcam events to ensure your child has a constant supply for something new to watch.
- Cincinnati Zoo: Home Safari Resources: Join the Cincinnati Zoo for a Home Safari daily event where they will highlight one of their amazing animals and include an activity your child can do from home.
- San Diego Zoo Kids: San Diego Zoo Kids offers educational resources, videos and activities to keep your little zoologist busy all through the school holidays.
- Kansas City Zoo: Penguins: Enjoy this underwater look at their cold water exhibit at Helzberg Penguin Plaza.
- The Hidden Worlds of National Parks: American Forest Rangers can take your avid explorer on never before seen adventures through some of America’s toughest but most beautiful terrain.
These are just some activities we found, feel free to look for your own or change them to suit your needs. Let us know about the ones you tried or ones we missed that you think should be added to the list.