Integration funding support
Integration Funding Support helps schools to provide adjustments for students with disability in mainstream classes who have moderate to high learning and support needs – as defined by the Department's disability criteria.
Funding is used:
- for additional teachers and school learning support officers to assist with personalised learning and support for students in their own classrooms
- to provide relief for classroom teachers to undertake professional learning and to plan adjustments with parents and carers and other school staff.
Most students with disability and additional learning and support needs can be supported through resources at their local school, allocated through a learning and support resource package as part of the school budget.
Integration Funding Support is only considered when a school learning and support team determines that:
- additional resources are required to develop and provide adjustments to personalise learning and support
- extra teacher and/or school learning support officer time is the most appropriate resource.
Who is eligible?
Integration Funding Support helps students who:
- are school-aged
- are enrolled in a mainstream class in a NSW public school
- have a moderate to severe intellectual disability, physical disability, mental health disorder, autism spectrum disorder, hearing and/or vision impairment as defined by the Department's disability criteria
- need adjustments to access learning opportunities and school experiences.
- are enrolled in a DoE preschool setting and
- have a disability and meet the requirement for substantial or extensive adjustments as defined by NCCD guidelines
How to apply
Schools apply for Integration Funding Support through the Access Request process. An Access Request is arranged by the school learning and support team at the local public school.
New applications can be made for:
- the current school year, e.g. for an increase in support needs or for a student transferring from a support class to a mainstream class
- the upcoming year e.g. a student enrolling in Kindergarten
- students who are receiving Integration Funding Support (IFS) in Year 6 and are transitioning to a mainstream class in Year 7 secondary school do not need a new Access Request. Their funding will continue into secondary school to enable a smooth transition. During Term 2 in Year 7 the school's learning and support team will organise a review of the student's support needs. Information can be found in the parent fact sheet (PDF 354KB).
Students in mainstream classes with a current allocation of Integration Funding Support do not need to reapply every year.
A student's summary profile
Every application for Integration Funding Support includes a student's summary profile completed by the school learning and support team in consultation with parents and carers.
The profile is an objective summary of a student's educational achievements and adjustment needs in the Key Learning Areas (KLAs) as well as in Communication, Participation, Personal Care and Movement.
At least one review meeting a year must be held for each student receiving Integration Funding Support to:
- evaluate the student's progress towards personalised learning goals
- assess the effectiveness of the adjustments currently in place
- make any necessary changes to personalised learning and support
- prepare for the coming year e.g. for planned operations, school excursions
- confirm or amend the student's summary profile.
A review of funding allocation may be requested if changes to a student's summary profile show that their learning and support needs have changed. This may be initiated by the school or by parents and carers.
Integration Funding Support - resources
- Integration Funding Support - Management Procedures (PDF 324kB)
- Students with Disability in Mainstream Classrooms Guidelines (PDF 396kB)
Integration Funding Support - forms
- Annual Return of Uncommitted Funding (PDF 1267kB)
- Informal Advice (PDF 180kB)
- Return of Funding (PDF 1.22MB)
- School request for a change in Integration Funding Support (PDF 149kB)
- Student Annual Review (PDF 149kB)
- Transfer of Funding (PDF 137kB)
- Appeal by Parent or Carer Form (PDF 1.2MB)
- Term 3 Preschool IFS Review (PDF 240kB)
Completing student Summary Profiles for Integration Funding Support