Nationally Consistent Collection of Data
The NSW Department of Education is committed to supporting all schools to undertake the required Nationally Consistent Collection of Data on School Students with Disability (NCCD), and to using the data collection process to help ensure all students with disability are participating in and have access to learning.
About the NCCD
All Australian schools are required to participate in the NCCD on an annual basis.
The NCCD is an annual data collection that requires information on the extent of support and adjustments made for students with disability. The data collection supports a broader model of engagement and support for these students that draws on teachers' professional judgement and practices throughout the year to support students with disability to access and participate in education on the same basis as other students. Implementation of the model enables schools to fulfil their mandatory obligations to students under the national Disability Discrimination Act 1992 (DDA) and Disability Standards for Education 2005. Understanding these legal obligations and the mechanisms for collecting and using NCCD data is essential knowledge for principals and teachers.
School principals are responsible for verifying the accuracy of their school's data and validating that there is evidence at the school to support the inclusion of a student in the data collection. Evidence must be retained for a minimum of 7 years. NCCD data is used to inform funding provided by the Australian Government to NSW and may be the subject of audits or compliance activities.
Key Dates 2022
Data Entry - Up to Friday, 22 July
1. Enter data into ERN - Disability Adjustments
Validation Phase - Monday, 25 July – Friday, 5 August
1. Check data on Online Data Collection website. If you are working from home and having difficulties accessing the above website, please navigate through the Staff Portal > Profile Centre> Departmental Websites > Online Data Collections – EXTERNAL
2. Update ERN - Disability Adjustments with any changes.
3. Sign off validation phase is complete (before 5pm, Friday 5 August – Census date).
Census Phase - Monday, 8 August – Friday, 19 August
1. Check data on Online Data Collection website.
2. Update the Online Data Collection website and ERN - Disability Adjustments with any changes.
3. Principals sign off census data is accurate on Online Data Collection website (before 5pm, 19 August).
Categories of disability
The broad categories of disability used in the NCCD are as defined in the Disability Discrimination Act 1992 and the Disability Standards for Education 2005:
Level of adjustment
- National Level of Adjustment Descriptors
- Level of adjustment viewer
- Guidance on adjustment level selection
Implementing the NCCD
- NCCD Model
- NCCD Quick Guide
- NCCD Guidelines
- 2022 NCCD One Page Summary for NSW public schools (NEW)
- NCCD ERN - Disability Adjustments User Guide (Updated for 2022 NCCD)
- Moderation Resource for Schools
- Evidence Guide
- Fact sheets for schools, parents and carers- also available in community languages
- Sample letter for parents, guardians and carers
- Information Notice
Sound knowledge and understanding of the DDA and Disability Standards for Education will assist schools in meeting mandatory obligations to students and their parents and carers and implementing the national data collection.
Professional learning on the DDA and Disability Standards for Education (2005) is available to all school staff through an online package of lessons.
A training portal developed by Educational Services Australia supports schools' implementation of the national data collection through information about the national data collection model, including levels of adjustment and evidence requirements.
NSW Department of Education helpdesk for the NCCD