High school learning and support teams assist and support students, parents and carers with transition planning.
Student centred planning for leaving school usually increases in the student's final year of schooling, but usually begins earlier – depending on the student's needs. The process involves collaboration and information sharing between students, parents and carers, schools and government and community agencies and services.
This collaborative approach helps students to make informed decisions about their future direction and provides links to local post school government and community support.
Planning for post school destinations may take into account the student's:
- further education and training interests and needs
- transport and mobility requirements
- leisure and recreation interests
- personal care and management needs
- community living options.
High schools have specialist staff to support students to plan for leaving school.
Careers teachers support all students including students with disability and additional learning and support needs. They may assist with:
- transition planning
- subject selection to support post school goals
- further education and training
- work experience
- finding jobs
- accessing networks that may be able to provide assistance.
Support teachers transition are specialist teachers who assist students with disability and additional learning and support needs. They may assist students and their teachers with:
- curriculum options and subject selection to support post school goals
- planning for post school destinations
- access to specialist programs and support provided by other government agencies and schemes.
More services and programs
Career learning and vocational education and training
The post school fact sheets provide students and their families with information regarding the HSC, tertiary and VET pathways, youth services, Centrelink supports and career guidance.
Australian Disability Clearinghouse on Education & Training (ADCET)
The ADCET provides information and resources to help schools support students with disability, including in the transition from school.