Module 5 reproduction program
Students expand their knowledge of evolution by understanding the cellular processes involved in increasing genetic diversity.
Life continues through the processes of reproduction and heredity. Students expand their knowledge of evolution by understanding the cellular processes involved in increasing genetic diversity
They investigate reproduction and inheritance patterns in both plants and animals as well as the role of DNA in polypeptide synthesis and the uses of technologies in the study of inheritance patterns.
Students also learn about contemporary research and the work of geneticists across a variety of industries, including medical applications and agriculture.
They explore the effects on society and the environment through the application of genetic research. Students focus on processing and representing data in appropriate formats to analyse and evaluate trends, relationships and patterns.
Students derive and justify valid conclusions about the processes involved in heredity.
Working scientifically skills
- PH11-1 develops and evaluates questions and hypotheses for scientific investigation
- PH11-2 Designs and evaluates investigations in order to obtain primary and secondary data and information
- PH11-3 Conducts investigations to collect valid and reliable primary and secondary data and information
- PH11-4 Selects and processes appropriate qualitative and quantitative data and information using a range of appropriate media
- BIO11/12-5 analyses and evaluates primary and secondary data and information
- BIO11/12-6 solves scientific problems using primary and secondary data, critical thinking skills and scientific processes
- BIO11/12-7 communicates scientific understanding using suitable language and terminology for a specific audience or purpose
While all Working Scientifically outcomes have been presented in this sample unit of work, teacher judgement should be used about which skill descriptors students will be working towards and engaging with.
How does reproduction ensure the continuity of a species?
Knowledge and understanding
BIO12-12 explains the structures of DNA and analyses the mechanisms of inheritance and how processes of reproduction ensure continuity of species
Syllabus outcomes and content descriptors from Science Biology Stage 6 Syllabus© NSW Education Standards Authority (NESA) for and on behalf of the Crown in right of the State of New South Wales, 2021.