Looking through our window
‘Looking through our window’ is a photo story competition to celebrate the people, places and spaces of rural and remote education. The competition seeks to capture the unique perspectives of schools and their context. The Rural Education team intend to use the photo stories submitted in various forms of media to build an understanding of the context and highlight the great things about rural and remote schools.
- reflect the context, challenges and diversity of rural and remote schools
- showcase the strengths of rural and remote schools
- celebrate unique or unusual features
- highlight your community through its people, places and spaces.
Prize money will be awarded in each category to the winning schools to be used by the student council or student representative group on projects to improve their school environment, e.g. vegetable garden or student selected furniture for a classroom learning space.
All applications submitted must be endorsed by the Principal. Selected schools will be asked to share how their prize money was spent on improving their classroom, outdoor learning space or environment.
- Teaching Principal schools (TP1/TP2)
- Central schools
- Primary schools (K-6)
- High schools (7-12)
- Other schools (EEC, SSP, SDE etc.)
To get involved
- Create a photo story containing a maximum of 10 photos. Photo stories are a sequence of photos that highlight the unique perspectives of your school and showcase the great things about rural and remote education (see below for ideas).
- Photo stories should address the criteria below as they will be used by the panel.
- Schools can submit a maximum of 2 entries per school (must be approved by Principal).
- Submit by Friday 11 September 2020 - Term 3, Week 8 via email to email@example.com. In the subject field, include your school name, category and ‘Looking through our window’ photo competition.
- The panel will convene to review entries in Term 3, Week 9, 2020.
- Winners will be notified by Friday 25 September 2020 – Term 3, Week 10.
Your photo story of 10 photos could include, photos that show:
- Through your window: taken inside a room looking out (across playground/oval etc)
- Your school: display your school name in some capacity
- Your students
- Your staff
- Your playground
- A classroom
- Something that your school is proud of
- Something unusual/unique about your school
- Beyond the school boundary: looking outside your school gate
- Your choice