Road safety teaching resources
Safety Town online resource for primary schools
Safety Town is an engaging online teaching and learning resource for students in K-6. The resource explores:
- pedestrian safety
- passenger safety
- wheels safety
- bus safety
It has interactive activities, videos, storybooks, teaching and learning activities and up-to-date information for teachers, parents and students.
PDHPE sample units of work
The Road safety education team have worked with PDHPE to develop some sample units of learning using the essential question How can I keep myself and others safe?
There are ten lesson sequences for each stage: early stage 1 to stage 3.
STEM and road safety
The Road safety education team have been working with STEM T4L to design new resources and review units of learning using the essential question How can I keep myself and others safe?
The 360 SITU camera Kit can allow students and families to have a 360 view of their school, embedding road safety images and messages at entry and exit points.
This tool can support schools' agility when making changes due to COVID, with families not coming onto school grounds and managing staggered entry and exit of students.
See what Bronte Public School has developed for their community:
Road safety can also be found throughout many of the STEM sample units available on T4L such as:
|Stage||link to activity|
|Early Stage 1|
Contact your local Road safety education officer for more information about STEM and road safety.
On Safety Town there are tram safety resources for teachers to use with students Early Stage 1 to Stage 3.
There are ebooks, videos, teaching, and learning activities.
This video is just one of the resources. What would you do? to reinforce safe pedestrian behaviours on and around trams.
Tracksafe education website provides teaching and learning activities to support safety around trains.
Order free resources
- Order free brochures, posters and Kindergarten Orientation packs for schools directly from Transport for NSW. School use only.
- Parent and carer presentation for your Kindergarten Orientation is available from your Road Safety Education Officer.
- Promote safe travel by sharing the department's information about safe road user behaviours when walking, car travel, riding and driving and parking (translations available)
- Download Transport for NSW's handouts for parents and carers to promote safe road user behaviours around your school.
- Provide Starting high school safely information to assist students and parents/carers talk about being an independent traveller.