Frequently asked questions

In this section you will find answers to some of the more commonly asked questions about department preschools.  For further information please contact the early learning team.

Which serious incidents must be notified?

Serious incidents such as injury, illness, trauma or the need for urgent medical treatment should be notified. Examples include: whooping cough, broken limbs, anaphylactic reaction, missing from the premises, removal in a way that breaches regulations, mistakenly locked in or out, death or the attendance
of emergency services.
Definition of a serious incident (regulation 12)

How do I reduce spreading infectious diseases?

Staying healthy: preventing infectious diseases in early childhood education and care services
provides information and strategies to help reduce the spread of illness and infectious diseases.

Do I need to write a policy?

The Department of Education's policies, procedures and guidelines meet regulation 168 of the Education and Care Services National Regulations. Both preschools and the schools to which they are attached must follow departmental policies but may
need to develop additional processes to support the implementation of such policies for a local setting.

Policies, procedures and guidelines have been categorised into areas of the National Quality Standard.  Go to policies and procedures for more information.

What do we need for a child at risk of anaphylaxis?

If a child at risk of anaphylaxis is enrolled, the following notice must be displayed. 'There is a child at risk of anaphylaxis at our preschool'.

Other processes are the same as for the rest of the school. See Allergy and anaphylaxis management within the curriculum P–12 (PDF 532KB) for more information.

How do I set up an outdoor play area?

Frequently asked questions about playgrounds are available through the Kidsafe website. Your local asset management team can also provide advice.

Can I plant that plant?

Information about suitable plants is available through Landscape management in NSW school (PDF 1.6MB). This manual lists harmful and irritant plants as well as those known to be successful in
a school environment.
Kidsafe NSW also provides a list of plants to avoid.

Can we enrol a child with a visa?

Generally preschool children on temporary visas follow the same enrolment procedures as other preschool children. That is, they do not require an authority to enrol form. Some short-term visa holders are ineligible, as are those who hold visitor or tourist visas.

The Schedule of visa subclasses and enrolment condition (PDF 104KB) outlines specific eligibility information on the temporary visa subclasses.

What is considered an excursion?

Visits to the school are not regarded as excursions if the preschool is situated on the school site. For example, if a preschool group visits the school library on the same site, it is not an excursion.

Preschools located on a separate site, where children need to cross a road to access the school for example, should conduct a risk assessment to ensure adequate supervision. This is then considered a regular outing and only requires one risk assessment and permission note per year.

Return to top of page