Refugee leadership strategy
The Refugee Leadership Strategy aims to provide greater system support for schools with significant numbers of refugee students. As part of this strategy, Refugee Support Leaders positions have been established in high refugee settlement areas to support schools in meeting the needs of refugee students and families.
The Refugee Support Leadership Strategy was developed in response to unprecedented high numbers of refugee student enrolments in NSW government schools. Through the strategy, 19 Refugee Support Leaders (15.4 FTE) work with principals in targeted schools to enhance existing provisions and support systems for refugee students.
Refugee Support Leaders:
- collaborate with school leaders to use data to inform planning and implementation of whole school strategies to support refugee students
- work with schools to support refugee students through improved transition processes
- work with learning and support teams to implement personalised approaches for refugee students
- collaborate with school leaders and staff to provide opportunities and encourage refugee families and community members to participate in the life of the school
- coordinate and deliver professional learning for school staff, including school leadership teams
- promote collaboration between schools and other organisations supporting refugee students and families.
Schools seeking support though this strategy, should refer to the Refugee support leaders contact list (PDF, 77KB) to see if there is support available in their principal network.