How can I determine if a student requires intensive English tuition?

Each IEC/IEHS assesses a student's English language proficiency level to determine the student's need for intensive English tuition.

When newly arrived students whose first language is not English apply for enrolment in high school, they should be referred to the local IEC/IEHS for assessment and possible enrolment.

Following assessment and enrolment in an IEC/IEHS, each student is placed in an appropriate class based on a number of factors including their level of English proficiency and stage of schooling.

Return to top of page