Parents and carers
Information for parents and carers who have a child experiencing racism at school, online or in the community.
Racism and racist behaviour are not tolerated in NSW public schools. Everyone in a NSW government school – students, staff, parents, carers and community members – is expected to treat others fairly and with respect, and to behave in ways which do not promote racism in the school community.
Racism at school
If your child is experiencing racial discrimination at school, you should encourage them to report it to a teacher or the school’s Anti-Racism Contact Officer, or you may report it on your child’s behalf.
If you have experienced racism at school, you may make a complaint to the school. The Anti-Racism Contact Officer may provide you with assistance if you need it.
For more information, see:
- Anti-Racism Policy - Information for parents and carers - translated
- Complaints of racism
- Information and assistance for Aboriginal Families when making a complaint (PDF 515 KB) – This flyer provides information on how to make a complaint. The QR code links directly to the department’s online complaints form.
School-related racism that occurs online, such as students directing racist comments or statements towards individual students or cultural groups, should be reported to the school. Parents/carers and students can report such incidents to the principal, Anti-Racism Contact Officer, or any member of staff.
There are a range of resources that can help you in keeping your child safe from racism online:
- Online safety – a guide for parents and carers is available in several languages online and as a hard copy. Order a free copy by calling 1800 880 176 or via email from firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Translated information about cyberbullying and unwanted content and how to deal with it can be accessed via the eSafety Commissioner.
- Information about online hate speech and how to deal with it online is available from Remove hate from the debate, a Multicultural NSW website, and the Racism. No Way! website.
Racism in the community
Information on reporting racial discrimination, harassment or hatred in the community is available at Anti-Discrimination NSW or the Australian Government’s Help Stop Racism information page. Complaints can also be made to the Australian Human Rights Commission.
The COVID-19 Global Online Safety Advice for parents and carers (PDF 1.2 MB) provides tips on how to keep children safe online during COVID-19.