Stage 5 reading - Connecting ideas
Students learn to identify devices that link information across and within texts and develop an understanding of how authors connect ideas.
- EN5-2A: effectively uses and critically assesses a wide range of processes, skills, strategies and knowledge for responding to and composing a wide range of texts in different media and technologies
- EN5-8D: questions, challenges and evaluates cultural assumptions in texts and their effects on meaning.
National Literacy Learning Progression
- UnT9: builds meaning by actively linking ideas from a number of texts or a range of digital sources (comprehension); interprets and integrates visual, auditory and print elements of multimodal texts (comprehension); uses knowledge of a broader range of cohesive devices to track meaning (paragraph markers, topic sentences) (see Grammar) (process)
- UnT10: recognises layers of meaning (comprehension); recognises when ideas or evidence have been omitted from a text to position the reader (comprehension); describes how sophisticated cohesive devices establish patterns of meaning (class-subclass, cause-effect) (process)
- UnT11: derive a generalisation from abstract ideas in texts; identifies relevant and irrelevant information in texts (comprehension)
NAPLAN item descriptors
The relevant NAPLAN item descriptors are included in the resource, available for download on this page.
Full task descriptions are included in the resource, available for download on this page.
Task 1: Sequencing events
Students sequence a deconstructed text using evidence clues such as temporal connectives and text structural elements (three activities).
Task 2: Finding links within texts
Students use annotations to show connections between text elements and texts (two activities).
Task 3: Pronominal referencing
Students identify and track proper nouns/nouns and corresponding pronouns in texts. Students use proximal referencing to maintain meaning when reading (two activities).
Task 4: Lexical chains
Students identify sequences of related words in texts to track ideas and build understanding on a topic (four activities).
Task 5: Connectives
Students brainstorms and categorises connectives into the way they connect ideas (two activities).