This professional learning will support Year 3-8 teachers to explore the importance of vocabulary knowledge for reading comprehension. Participants will explore how to plan for explicit vocabulary instruction across all curriculum areas and how to establish a culture that supports word conscious learners. Resources for teaching, consolidating, differentiating and assessing vocabulary instruction are explored.
Who should participate?
The professional learning is designed for Year 3-8 teachers.
Mode of delivery
Session 1: Why is vocabulary critical for reading instruction?
Session 2: How do we make decisions about vocabulary instruction?
Session 3: How do we develop confident vocabulary learners?
Session 4: What does explicit vocabulary instruction look like in the classroom?
Completing this course will help you to:
- explore the critical nature of vocabulary for reading comprehension
- examine the complex nature of vocabulary development
- develop an understanding of the tier framework for considering vocabulary words
- use the teaching and learning cycle to frame decisions about vocabulary teaching and learning
- investigate how the National Literacy Learning Progression supports making decisions about student learning
- gain an understanding of how to develop ‘word conscious’ vocabulary learners
- understand the role of context clues, morphology and figurative language in learning new vocabulary
- develop a deeper understanding of how vocabulary can be explicitly taught in the classroom
- refine and further develop knowledge of teaching strategies that build and extend students’ vocabulary.
Registrations for Focus on vocabulary available soon
Dates and locations
To be advised (available in 2021)