This online professional learning provides Kindergarten – Year 8 teachers with an opportunity to explore the importance of vocabulary knowledge for writing and reading. Participants will explore how to plan for explicit vocabulary instruction in all curriculum areas and how to establish a culture that supports word conscious learners. Resources for teaching, consolidating, differentiating and assessing vocabulary instruction will be explored.
Who should participate?
Kindergarten to Year 8. teachers
Mode of delivery
Blended learning - a mix of self-paced and facilitator-led learning
This blended learning course includes two self-paced modules and a facilitated session:
Module 1: Why vocabulary is critical (approximately 1 hour)
Module 2: Decisions about vocabulary instruction (approximately 30 minutes)
Module 3: Developing confident vocabulary learners (approximately 1 hour)
Facilitated session: What does explicit teaching of vocabulary look like in the classroom? (3 hours)
Completing this blended learning course will help you to:
- explore the critical nature of vocabulary for writing and reading comprehension
- develop an understanding of the tier framework for considering vocabulary
- understand how to use the teaching and learning cycle to frame decisions about vocabulary teaching and learning
- explore ways to develop 'word conscious' vocabulary learners
- understand the role of context clues, morphology and figurative language in learning new vocabulary
- develop a deeper understanding of how vocabulary can be explicitly taught in the classroom.