Narara Valley High School
This case study showcases how this school has embraced and embedded future-focused learning and teaching practice. Four key questions are addressed to demonstrate how they identified problems and constraints, overcome specific challenges and their learnings from this journey.
Location: Cnr Fountains & Pandala Rds, Narara
Level: Secondary School, Year 7 to Year 12
Enrolment: 946 students (comprehensive high school catering for students of all abilities)
What learning problem were you trying to solve?
We wanted to increase the use of the library, create an inviting space and address the needs of senior students in accessing technology and resources during their study periods. The additional problem identified was the lack of technology access and devices school wide.
We also wanted to enhance independent learning for students, increase access to technology and increase the collaboration between students and classes in the learning process.
What were your constraints?
Existing infrastructure was restrictive. Technology access was minimal. Wireless access was limited. Space was used in a traditional way and many resources were outdated. The traditional approach to this library space was silent and not collaborative. The continued use of the library as a designated teaching space due to limited classrooms within the school.
What did you do?
- Removed outdated reference resources.
- Created a new central learning space for approximately 60 students.
- Allocated $50,000 towards creating a learning hub.
Undertook two phases of the project:
- Increase in technology by 30 desktops, 30 iPads and 20 Surface Pro devices, 3 new interactive projectors, dedicated TV on ABC 24.
- Create a modern, functional space for collaborative learning and senior study through the purchase of movable furniture.
Phase three includes the placement of a 3D Printer into the library as a school resource.
Funding is also being sourced externally to create an outdoor learning environment for senior student use.
What have you learnt so far?
- Library usage has increased significantly.
- Painting wall with whiteboard paint allows interaction with class for collaboration.
- Capacity of the library has increased by two classes plus additional seating for 18. Teachers mentoring students in the library has increased.