Instructional coaching operates in a one-to-one model with one person acting as the ‘expert’.
The role of the expert coach is to:
- assist teachers in
- setting goals or identifying areas for support,
- reflect on practice and
- determine strategies for improvement
- guide and participate in supporting activities such as
- modelling and observing classroom practice
- professional dialogue, reflection and feedback on practice
- supporting the development of resources or programs.
Instructional coaching works best when the coach is not a direct supervisor of the teacher to provide a more comfortable coaching relationship.
The references below provide guidelines on how to implement an instructional coaching program.
Further reading and resources
Instructional Coaching AITSL
What is an Instructional Coach? Pennsylvania Institute for Instructional Coaching