As students become independent road users, they need to consider the skills, attitudes, and behaviours they need to help them and others stay safe as a pedestrian, passenger and wheels user.
Road safety is taught as part of the PDHPE K-10 syllabus. Resources are developed for secondary schools to support the PDHPE Years 7-10 syllabus, and the Safe Travel learning context in the 25-hour mandatory course Life Ready for senior students.
An effective road safety education program needs to:
- be developmentally appropriate
- address specific road safety syllabus content
- be taught sequentially in each Stage by teachers.
- reflect local road safety issues
- be ongoing, not a one-off event
- avoid the use of shock tactics.
Support for teachers
Your Road Safety Education Officer is your dedicated resource for curriculum support and ideas to implement road safety education at your school.
Road safety education officers run free professional learning workshops for teachers about road safety education. They will help you address local road safety issues through teaching and learning.
Calendar of events for 2020 which can support road safety.
On the move has the current versions of Transport for NSW's road safety education resources.
- Road risks: Your choice (Stage 4)
- Play it Safe (Stage 5)
- Shifting gears (Stage 5)
- Limiting risks: Protecting lives (Stage 5 and Life Ready)
- Cruise Control - English teaching resource (Stage 6)
Tracksafe Education websiteExternal link provides teaching and learning activities to support safety around trains.
Life Ready aims to prepare and support students in Years 11 and 12 in NSW public schools as they encounter situations related to identity, independence and their changing responsibilities.
Teaching and learning resources are available to support the Safe Travel learning context.
Attend a Life Ready: Teaching the skills through safe travel workshop.
- is attitude-based and aims to help young people assess their attitudes and behaviour on the road
- is taught in NSW public schools as part of PDHPE in Years 9 and 10
- is taught as part of the Safe Travel learning context in the Life Ready course in Years 11 and 12.
- focuses on the development of the skills associated with the operation and control of a motor vehicle
- is not a requirement in NSW public schools
- is not part of the PDHPE Years 7–10 Syllabus or Life Ready.
- to offer driver training in your school, refer to our driver training implementation guidelines.