Bus travel advice
Parents and carers are responsible for their child's safety when travelling to and from school.
Children are most at risk just after getting off the bus.
To reduce this risk:
- meet your child at the bus stop, never on the opposite side of the road.
- hold your child's hand at the bus stop
- stand a few steps back from the edge of the road when waiting at the bus stop
- wait until the bus has gone, then choose a safe place to cross the road.
Help your children to find a safe place to cross such as:
- at a pedestrian crossing or traffic lights, if available
- a clear section of road where they are visible to all traffic.
If you can't be with your child, organise for a trusted adult to meet them at the bus stop.
Remind your child to always:
STOP! One step back from the kerb
LOOK! Both ways for traffic
LISTEN! For the sounds of approaching traffic
THINK! Whether it is safe to cross.
Read Code of conduct for school students on buses and share this information with your child.
Share these Transport for NSW youtube videos with your parents/carers and students to remind them about being safe near buses.