Primary aged students are vulnerable road users. They are still developing the skills, attitudes and behaviours needed to stay safe as a pedestrian, passenger and wheels user.
An effective road safety education program needs to:
- be developmentally appropriate
- reinforce key road safety messages
- address specific road safety syllabus content
- be taught sequentially in each Stage by teachers
- reflect local road safety issues
- be on going, not a one off event
- avoid the use of shock or fear tactics.
Support for teachers
Your Road Safety Education Officer is your dedicated resource for curriculum support and ideas to implement road safety education at your school.
Road safety education officers run free professional learning workshops for teachers about road safety education. They will help you address local road safety issues through teaching and learning.
Order free resources from Transport for NSW such as Kindergarten Orientation Day bags, stickers and brochures. (Use the School Only section).
See what's happening in schools in road safety education.
Calendar of events for 2019 which can support road safety.
Safety Town is a new engaging online teaching and learning resource for students in K-6.
It has interactive activities, videos, storybooks, teaching and learning activities and up-to-date information for teachers, parents and students. So why not visit Safety Town today.
Tracksafe education website provides teaching and learning activities to support safety around trains.
- Order free brochures, poster and kits and Kindergarten Orientation packs for schools directly from Transport for NSW. Use school use only.
- Parent and carer presentation for your Kindergarten Orientation is available from your Road Safety Education Officer.
- Download handouts for parents and carers to promote safe road user behaviours around your school.
- Translated information available from the department
- On the way to high school is a handout from Youth Safe which is for Year 6 students to raise awareness about travelling to high school next year.
Farmsafe Australia - RIPPER II Primary school resource is a useful resource for quad bike safety,
Auslan - eight great short videos of road safety messages in Auslan
PDHPE K-6 (DoE)