School excursions are a great opportunity for students to practise safe behaviours in real life environments and reinforce the key road safety messages.
Policy and procedures
School excursions are defined as:
- structured learning experiences
- provided by, or under the auspices of the school
- conducted external to the school site.
Key road safety requirements from the Excursion Policy Implementation Procedures are:
- safe transport or a safe walking route is to be organised
- bus, rail and ferry services should be used wherever appropriate
- attempt to hire buses or coaches with seatbelts wherever practicable, particularly for long distance travel outside urban areas
- seatbelts must be worn on buses and coaches when they are available
- transporting students by car can be used when other options are not available.
When planning any school excursion, refer to the: