Step 3 – look for an authentic need
An authentic need or opportunity is meaningful to the student and has:
- a real benefit, purpose and use
- a real user who can provide feedback on design ideas and developments
- real limitations such as time, money, materials, equipment
- a real context influenced by specific social, ethical and environmental issues.
Questions to consider
- Is there someone in the community, such as a local preschool or childcare centre, who may have a product need?
- Is there a local event or similar opportunity arising in the community to develop a product?
- Is there an abundance of resources, for example, seasonal food or leftover materials, available to be used?
- Is there local expertise, such as an architect, textile artist or craftsperson who is keen to help?