- It is real or authentic – providing clear benefits to someone in their community.
- It is engaging – building on areas of interest or relevance in their lives.
- It enables deep understanding and skill development – extending existing student knowledge or allows substantial time to develop knowledge.
- It allows the student to gain feedback from the user to inform design development.
- It requires students to use an authentic process of design and production that is relevant and used beyond the classroom.