Project for Years 5 and 6
Key inquiry questions
- What is sustainability?
- How can we reduce our waste and become more sustainable?
- What is journey mapping and how is it beneficial to our planning?
- How are products made?
- Where do products end up? (renewed, recycled or waste)
- How does waste affect our environment?
- Why is it important to be more socially aware of the effects of waste?
- Why is it important that we are aware of the benefits of being sustainable?
Our students explored sustainability and how it impacts our world. This stemmed from the issue of waste within the school and the lack of knowledge surrounding its impact as an issue to our environment. Students designed and constructed products that were aimed at having greater or total sustainability. We worked in partnership with Nemingha Public School and students compared the concept of sustainability within rural and urban environments. This STEM project allowed us to further explore the use of student-driven, open-investigation tasks and how these can be implemented in meeting learning outcomes.