Chemistry in Stage 6 science furthers students’ knowledge and understanding of the chemical world strand in K–10 science by engaging in chemical concepts and explaining the relationship between atoms and the macro world.
The chemistry syllabus focuses on fundamental chemistry concepts and skills, the nature of materials including natural and synthetic substances and the contemporary theories which underpin our understanding of chemistry. There is an emphasis on empirical investigations and modelling, including practical investigations to produce a variety of chemical reactions and important compounds. There is an emphasis on mathematics with opportunities to engage in organic chemistry and chemical synthesis and analysis.
Support materials for the new chemistry syllabus
The following support materials may be adapted by teachers to meet the individual needs of their schools. They will be published progressively in Term 4 2017. The support materials were developed by NSW public school teachers as part of the Stage 6 mEsh project where 62 teachers led writing teams (over 150 teachers) across NSW.
Units of work
- 11CHE module 1: Properties and structure of matter sample unit of work
- 11CHE module 2: Gas laws sample unit of work
- 11CHE module 3: Reactive Chemistry
- 11CHE module 4: Entropy and Gibbs free energy sample unit of work
- 12CHE module 6: Acid-Base reactions - analysis techniques
- 12CHE module 5: Equilibrium and acid reactions - solubility equilibria
- 12CHE module 8: Applying chemical ideas – sample spectral data
- 12CHE module 8: Applying chemical ideas (analysis of organic substances) sample unit of work - updated on 16 February 2018 based on errata for the chemistry syllabus
Scope and sequence
- Merck includes an interactive periodic table of elements and resources to download.
- WebElements explores the chemical elements through the periodic table.
- ANSTO Discovery Centre provides educational and syllabus focussed resources, posters, scientist profiles and more.
- Resources for ATSI content in Stage 6 chemistry.
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander perspectives in Stage 6 science (DOCX 55KB)
- Investigation planning scaffold (DOCX 44 KB)
- Risk analysis table (DOCX 45KB)
- Scientific thinking scaffold (DOCX 44KB)
- Self assessment strategy (DOCX 45KB)
- Student reflection on investigations (DOCX 149KB)
- Working scientifically skills checklist (DOCX 47KB)
Using data loggers in Stage 6 Chemistry (DOC 50.2KB) offers suggested topics in which to use sensors and data loggers.
The NSW Education Standards Authority (NESA) have support resources such as sample units and assessment schedules for the new chemistry syllabus (HSC 2019 onwards).