Scope and sequences
The sample scope and sequence documents incorporate advice from NSW Education Standards Authority (NESA) and include the following elements:
- the scope of learning in relation to the syllabus outcomes to be addressed
- the sequence of learning in relation to the syllabus outcomes to be addressed
- duration of the learning
- syllabus outcomes addressed through the learning and related outcomes (from other KLAs) if the teaching program is integrated
- relevant information for particular learning areas or particular school requirements.
Please note that each document is a ‘sample’ that schools may adapt to meet the needs of their students and local context.
Six approaches for flexible organisation
The sample scope and sequence documents have been designed using six different approaches. They provide a range of flexible options and models for whole school organisation of science and technology. Each approach builds upon basic requirements and provides additional syllabus information to assist planning and programming.
The six approaches include:
- Term-based with learning overview
- Term-based with questions and content
- Year-level based
- Whole school
- Content strands with digital technologies integrated
- Semester-based, single strand.
Every approach contains a full set of sample scope and sequence documents and blank templates for all stages (Early Stage 1 to Stage 3).