In 2017, NSW Education Standards Authority (NESA) released the Japanese K-10 Syllabus.
The support on this page includes sample:
- scope and sequences
- unit starters (units of work)
- assessment tasks, with marking guidelines.
Modify the documents to suit your context, including the needs of your students.
For advice on how to develop your own programming documents, visit our programming and assessment page.
Support materials from NSW Department of Education
The Japanese K-10 syllabus was developed using the Languages K-10 Framework. As all K-10 language syllabuses (2017 and later) are underpinned by this framework, teachers should view resources across all languages to access a broader range of sample scope and sequences, unit starters and assessment tasks.
Stage 4 – Japanese
- Sample scope and sequence (DOCX 48KB)
- Sample unit of work – Let's learn Japanese! (DOCX 75KB)
- Sample assessment task – Let's learn Japanese! (DOCX 51KB)
Stage 4 – generic (can be adapted to any language)
- Class party (DOCX 532KB) – showcases differentiation and adjustments to support the needs of a range of learners
Stage 5 – Japanese
Stage 5 – generic (can be adapted to any language)
- Food trucks (DOCX 95KB) – supports an inquiry-based approach
- A sustainable future, making changes together (DOCX 383KB) – supports the cross-curriculum priorities of 'Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander histories and cultures' and 'Sustainability'
- Go Nihongo! for Stages 3 to 6 – a series of videos with supporting activities.
- Waking up in Japan embeds online collaboration tools and 21st century learning skills to support students studying Stage 4 or 5.
Activity packages from the Nihongo Tanken Centre
The Nihongo Tanken Centre has designed activity packages, linked to syllabus outcomes, which can be incorporated into existing units of work or be used as stand-alone activities.
This activity package introduces students to the culture of Japan through a series of stunning images. It includes a video, a list of photos and an interactive worksheet.
Learn about the Japanese house, with 2 short videos, vocabulary and online interactive activities.
Learn how to make these delicious Japanese treats, with an instructional video (with script), shopping list, vocabulary and online interactive activities.
Support materials from NESA
NESA has also developed a range of materials to support the Japanese K-10 syllabus. You can access sample scope and sequence documents, sample units of work and sample assessment activities under 'Support materials' on the Japanese K-10 Syllabus page.
If you need further assistance with accessibility for any of these resources, please get in touch with us at SecondaryEducationUnit@det.nsw.edu.au