In 2017, NSW Education Standards Authority (NESA) released the Chinese K-10 Syllabus.
The support on this page includes sample:
- scope and sequences
- unit starters (units of work)
- assessment tasks, with marking guidelines.
Modify the documents to suit your context, including the needs of your students.
For advice on how to develop your own programming documents, visit our programming and assessment page.
Support materials from NSW Department of Education
The Chinese K-10 syllabus was developed using the Languages K-10 Framework. As all K-10 language syllabuses (2017 and later) are underpinned by this framework, teachers should view resources across all languages to access a broader range of sample scope and sequences, unit starters and assessment tasks.
Sample scope and sequence documents
Sample assessment tasks
- Stage 4 – What do you recommend? (DOCX 39KB)
A unit starter is a set of proposed teaching, learning and assessment strategies, arranged around a topic or theme. Teachers adapt the content to suit the needs of individual students and their local school context.
- Stage 4 – What do you recommend? (DOCX 64KB)
- Stage 4 – class party (DOCX 532KB), a generic unit starter which showcases differentiation and adjustments to support the needs of a range of learners
- Stage 5 – food trucks (DOCX 95KB), a generic unit starter which supports an inquiry-based approach
- Stage 5 – a sustainable future, making changes together (DOCX 383KB), a generic unit starter which supports the cross-curriculum priorities of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander histories and cultures, and sustainability
Support materials from NESA
NESA has also developed a range of materials to support the Chinese K-10 syllabus. You can access sample scope and sequence documents, sample units of work and sample assessment activities under 'Support materials' on the Chinese K-10 Syllabus page.
- Go Hanyu! for Stages 4 to 6 a series of videos with supporting activities.
If you need further assistance with accessibility for any of these resources, please get in touch with us at SecondaryEducationUnit@det.nsw.edu.au