In 2019, NSW Education Standards Authority (NESA) released a new K-10 syllabus for Arabic. Teachers implement this syllabus in 2020 with Years 7 and 9, and in 2021 with Years 8 and 10.
Visit our Stages 4 and 5 page to access generic advice and support on programming and assessment including:
- programming guidelines, to ensure you’re meeting the requirements set by NESA
- our backward mapping tool, to support you in planning the learning journey for your students
- sample assessment tasks
- sample templates for units of work.
We also recommend you look at resources for other languages, accessed via the left-hand menu, to see a range of formats and approaches.
Support materials from NSW Department of Education
The Arabic K-10 syllabus was developed using the Languages K-10 Framework. As all K-10 language syllabuses (2017 and later) are underpinned by this framework, teachers should view resources across all languages to access a broader range of sample scope and sequences, unit starters and assessment tasks.
Sample scope and sequence documents
- Stage 4 (DOCX 58KB)
- Stage 5 (DOCX 49KB) – for students with prior learning and/or experience in Arabic
Sample assessment tasks
- Stage 4 – What's your style? (DOCX 42KB)
A unit starter is a set of proposed teaching, learning and assessment strategies, arranged around a topic or theme. Teachers adapt the content to suit the needs of individual students and their local school context.