The primary and secondary teams at the Learning and Teaching Directorate offer a range of professional learning (PL) opportunities for teachers, available through MyPL (staff only).
Support for new K-10 syllabuses
Syllabuses are developed by the NSW Education Standards Authority (NESA). Our role is to support teachers to become familiar with, and plan for new syllabuses, as well as to stay informed about changes to course and assessment requirements as they occur.
NESA has released new K-10 syllabuses for:
- Chinese, French, German, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean and Spanish, for implementation from 2019 (with K-6, Year 7 and Year 9) and from 2020 (with Year 8 and Year 10).
- Arabic, Modern Greek, Turkish and Vietnamese, for implementation from 2020 (with K-6, Year 7 and Year 9) and from 2021 (with Year 8 and Year 10).
To find out more about professional learning relating to the implementation of these syllabuses, please visit the languages syllabus implementation section.
Early Stage 1 to Stage 3
Community languages induction program (CLIP)
Wednesday, March 27 – principals and/or supervisors: RG02916 – Orientation day for principals and supervisors of the K-6 Community Languages Program (CLP):
- assists in the planning, implementation and evaluation of effective community language programs in schools
- addresses the requirements of the CLP.
Leaders are provided with strategies on supporting language learners, engaging their wider community and information on the benefits of languages education.
March 27-28, June 12-13 – newly appointed community languages teachers: RG00381 – Community Languages Induction Program (CLIP):
- is a school focused professional development program
- places emphasis on the value of workplace learning
- encourages the participation of teams, as well as individuals, in professional development activities
- comprises 2 x 2-day face to face workshops to assist in planning, implementing and evaluating of effective community language programs that engage students and promote learning in the primary school context.
Stage 4 to Stage 6
Professional learning opportunities for language teachers 7-12.
Statewide network meetings
On Wednesday in week 4 of each term, a state-wide network meeting is held via Adobe Connect to provide curriculum and project updates. Attending these online meetings can contribute 30 minutes to teacher identified PD.
Dates for 2019
Wednesday 27 February (note – Week 5 for Term 1)
Wednesday 22 May
Wednesday 14 August
Wednesday 30 October
Just log into our Adobe Connect room.
Download the how-to guide (DOCX 281 KB) to learn more about how to join our virtual meeting room.